Sunday, 13 March 2011

SIDS: Carlisle baby died from sudden infant death syndrome - inquest

A baby boy from Carlisle who died suddenly at the age of seven months was a victim of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, a coroner has ruled.
At a hearing in the city, deputy coroner Simon Ward revealed some of the details surrounding the tragic death on May 29 last year of Tommylee Ewart-O’Neil.
Recording a verdict that the child died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, Mr Ward called the case tragic, adding: “There is no evidence to suggest anything other than that this was an entirely natural death.”
In a statement read to the court, the child’s mother Louise O’Neil said that the baby had been born normally without complications. Though he had suffered from chest infections, they were cured by courses of prescribed antibiotics.
Until the age of four months, she said, Tommylee had slept in a Moses basket in the room used by his mother and father, Thomas Ewart, at their home in Prescott Road, Longsowerby.
After that, the baby slept in his parents’ double bed between them on his back. On the morning he died, he woke for a feed at 2.15am and he did not appear to be unwell. But at 7.15am Miss O’Neil was woken by her shocked partner because their child was unresponsive.
Despite their efforts to revive the baby, with the help of 999 control room staff, the baby was declared dead at the city’s Cumberland Infirmary.
Mr Ewart was a smoker but never smoked in the same room as his baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment