Wednesday 29 September 2010

SBS: Trial in British Columbia, Canada

 
Avtar Rashi Basi testified yesterday that he lied during a police interview two days after Baby E was admitted to Victoria General Hospital with a catastrophic brain injury in November 2008.
Basi is charged with the aggravated assault of the 11-week old baby girl who was living in the foster home run by his girlfriend Micheline Slader.
The 33-year-old, who has taken the stand in his own defence, testified Monday that he shook the baby to try and revive her.
Basi told the court that he began to cry and panicked when Baby E went limp in his arms and stopped breathing. He testified that he lifted her up, called out her name and listened for breaths.
Yesterday, prosecutor Nils Jensen asked Basi about a statement he gave to Central Saanich police Cpl. Dave Hodgson on Nov. 28, 2008. During the interview, Basi told Hodgson he had nothing to hide.
According to the transcript, Hodgson didn't believe him.
"My logic says that in my experience as a police officer, here's a guy who did something that he can't admit to," Hodgson told Basi.
"No. I would admit it in a second, sir. If I did something, I honestly would," Basi replied.
"I think it's eating you up," said Hodgson.
"No," Basi replied.
Jensen asked Basi if he had lied to the police officer.
"Yes," he replied.
Later in the interview, Hodgson told Basi there's only one way the baby was hurt.
"No officer. I've told you guys everything," Basi insisted.
"You're one or the other. You intentionally did it or you accidentally did it," said Hodgson.
Basi continued to deny he had anything to do with the baby's injuries.
The prosecutor also asked Basi why he didn't tell Slader he had shaken the baby when she phoned from the hospital to tell him the doctors believed Baby E had been shaken.
"It was a brief conversation," said Basi. "Listen, I tried everything. I tried saving the kid."
After the phone call, Basi immediately accepted he was the one who caused Baby E's injury, he testified.
"You know you caused the injury because you shook that baby hard," said Jensen.
"I don't recall how hard it was. I was panicky at the time," said Basi, who became teary-eyed.
Jensen insisted Basi shook the baby hard.
"I don't recall how much force was used. I just wanted some sort of noise or cry out of the baby. I don't know how hard I shook her."
"It wasn't a gentle rocking, was it, sir?"
Basi did not reply.
The case for the defence continues today with evidence from Dr. Charles Ferguson, director of the child protection centre at the Children's Hospital in Winnipeg.
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Accused+admits+lying+police/3567021/story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment