Monday, 4 July 2011

SBS: Connecticutt: death of Kyle Robinson suspicious

ANSONIA -- The investigation into the death earlier this month of 5-month-old Kyle Robinson continues as police await medical reports and additional information from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, said Lt. Andrew Cota, police spokesman.
"The case is still open and under investigation," Cota said Wednesday. "We have been in touch with the state's attorney's office and have been interviewing witnesses and have more interviews scheduled."
Cota said it's "slow going," but police are making progress.
He said a good portion of the investigation rests on the information they receive from the medical examiner and from doctors at Yale-New Haven Hospital, who treated Kyle prior to his death June 12. An autopsy determined Kyle died from blunt force trauma to his head and the death has been ruled a homicide.
Cota said police are looking at Kyle's death as an "assault situation." He has also said it's being considered a case of shaken baby syndrome. "The doctors at Yale-New Haven said it was a traumatic incident and we are waiting for information to back up what we already believe," he said. He said that information will be "required for any warrants and for prosecution down the road."
No arrests have been made, but the boyfriend of Kelly Robinson-Maresca -- Kyle's mother -- has been the focus of police investigation.
The boyfriend was the only adult at the family's apartment on June 10 when a 911 call was made concerning a child in distress, Cota said.
Kyle's two older siblings, aged 2 and 5, were also at home at the time of the incident, but neither was injured, Cota said.
The boyfriend, whose name has not been released by police, has retained an attorney.
Cota said police and emergency medical personnel tried CPR before transporting the baby to Griffin Hospital in Derby for treatment. The baby was later transferred to Yale-New Haven Hospital where he was put on life support, Cota said.
The incident took place on a Friday night and Kyle died two days later.
Over that weekend, police got reports from the hospital about the baby's condition, and they realized the severe injury was not accidentally inflicted, Cota said.
Shortly after Kyle's death, Joette Katz, DCF commissioner, confirmed that the department first became involved with the family in April because of an incident at the house that resulted in an injury. Cota, at that time, said that most likely referred to an injury one of the older siblings sustained after apparently falling down stairs.
"A comprehensive medical evaluation determined that the reported incident was accidental," Katz said in a statement. She said a further investigation by the department would be conducted as a result of the baby's death, which will include a review of its involvement with the family.
The state Office of the Child Advocate is also investigating the incident, which will be reviewed by that agency's Child Fatality Review Panel, according to Jeanne Milstein, state child advocate.

Reach Anne M. Amato at 203-330-6496 or by email at

No comments:

Post a Comment